.

.
.

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Mellow Yellow/save the world:Matschie's tree kangaroos



When I finished high school in Borneo, I had a gap year before I went to the University of Windsor in Canada. It was a great year as I left my parents home and went to teach in Kai Chung Secondary School in Binatang. They have since changed the name because Binatang means animal. A coincidence to this post.

As a 19 year old, I got very involved with the students. I enjoyed my time and it seems the students liked me too. Last year, some of these students found me at Facebook. Moh Mee Sui was a senior in the school, I didn't teach him, but we are now friends.He works in Papua New Guinea. He posted this photo and I was curious.

Matschie's tree kangaroos are native to Papua New Guinea, where logging and hunting have threatened the species. They are in danger of extinction. Matschie's tree-kangaroo (Dendrolagus matschiei), also known as the Huon tree-kangaroo is a tree-kangaroo native to the Huon Peninsula of North Eastern New Guinea. Under the IUCN classification, Matschie's tree-kangaroo is endangered In 1996, the IUCN classified the Matschie’s tree-kangaroos as endangered animals.

The scientific name honours German biologist Paul Matschie.

Fortunately, conservation biologists from the Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle recently collaborated with Papua New Guinea villagers to create a 187,800-acre conservation area to protect species like Matschie's tree kangaroo.

The species is one of over 50 species of kangaroo, including about 10 types of tree kangaroo. They're much smaller than the kangaroos most of us are more familiar with (like Australia's red kangaroo

Thanks, Mee Sui.



http://mellowyellowmonday.blogspot.com/




http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com/

14 comments:

Jim said...

very interesting.

Liz said...

Cute fella. Have a fabulous week.

Liz @ MLC

magchewchia said...

Very interesting indeed! I have never seen one before! Look at those oversized eyes!!

Luna Miranda said...

i'm glad steps are taken to save this creative. it looks a little bit like our Tarsier here, but the Tarsier is much tinier.

Zenserly said...

so cute!

George said...

I was not aware that there was such a thing as a tree kangaroo. Thanks for the information about it. I'm glad steps are being taken to save it from extinction.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I see what you mean Ann, very different from my kangaroos. So cute with those great big eyes, what a shame, honestly sometimes I think we humans are so stupid in the things that we do.

mommy Orkid Belle said...

That is so cute! I have never seen one before, I don't think. So cute! Visiting via MYM.

Adin B

Kim, USA said...

Oh my I never thought there is a kangaroo like this kind. At first I thought it's the smallest monkey we called Tarsier but it is not. These creatures has to be protected. ^_^ Happy Heart Day!

Canada

J.Rylie.C said...

Beautiful capture!

Please come and see my yellow entry. Happy Valentine's Day!

Jessica said...

awww! what a cutie :-) Visiting from MYM, hope that you can return the visit too.

http://www.adventurousjessy.com/2012/02/catching-up-some-tickets-inside-the-ticket-buster.html

Deli said...

Interesting post. Do check out also my Monday Mellow Yellow entry :)

http://www.stepsonair.info/under-the-tree/

eileeninmd said...

Ann, he is a cute critter. I am happy to see these tree kangaroos are being protected. It is sad to see how many animals are considered endangered.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Ann, it is so cute. Never heard of him before and now I am worried about him -- I sure hope the species will survive.

That's very neat that your former students connected with you via FB. Good use of social media. I bet you were a great teacher!