.

.
.

Friday, December 4, 2015

Photohunt: market





Market

I bought this glass piano from a glass blower in a market in The Surfers Paradise in Australia.







I was walking along the beach when I saw the Surfers Paradise Beachside Markets, at the Esplanade, at Surfers Paradise.

What had attracted me to this stall was many many years ago, when I was a student at Auckland University, I sometimes went to this International market in an arcade at Queen Street, an artist was using his mouth and blew into a tiny knob of soft glass into a burner, and slowly his magic turned to be a beautiful vase. I was fascinated and used to stand for hours looking at him, and never buying as I was a poor student.

Forward to 2010, This artist was using a gas torch, but he still fascinated me. I decided to buy some as gifts. I bought a glass kangaroo for the water engineer, an echidna for G and D. When I saw another customer buy a piano, I changed my mind and bought a grand piano for D.


As I paid for my gift, we chatted. The woman told me she was from Christchurch New Zealand. Her name is Karin, the artist is Graham. They have been established since 1987.

The market operates every Wednesday and Friday night from 5.30 pm to 10 pm if you like to view and buy his craft.


 

http://whistlestopphotohunt.blogspot.co.nz/

1 comment:

Tabor said...

Buying from local artists is one of the best things we can do this time of year, especailly when we love what is created.