.

.
.

Monday, November 9, 2009

Save the world:Monday, November 9, 2009 How To End Food Waste ...



Monday, November 9, 2009
How To End Food Waste ...

Our current Change The World Wednesday challenge, which is still in effect and can be viewed HERE, asks us NOT to waste food.
http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com/2009/11/how-to-end-food-waste.html

For this challenge, I like to tell you probably every Chinese kid was told, well, I mean probably almost every kid. May be with affluence, mothers and grandmas no longer tell the kids. But I had been told by my grandma and so had most of my friends,

"Finish up your rice and leave your bowl/plate clean. If you leave any grain of rice on the plate, next time when you grow up, you will marry your spouse with pock marks on his/her face."

A friend who said this and the joke was her husband had pock marks and she would say," I was a naughty girl, and didn't finish up my rice, that is why I married an ugly man like my husband."

In my family, we knew this isn't true, but my maternal grandma still warned us. We were not allowed to leave the table until our plates were clean.

Little kids believe what you tell them, they are not going to be bothered about hungry kids in Africa.

In my family, I keep left-overs and warm them up the next day in the mirco-wave oven. If there is still rice or bread, I feed them to the sparrows and other native birds in my garden. The rest, I compost.

In New Zealand, most fish and chips come wrapped in Newspaper. Saves the trees and fossil fuel. Sam is quite a good eater, as a growing 13 year old boy, he eats and eats and doesn't waste.

No comments: